Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Home and Away Fanfiction - FINAL


Cassie clutched her stomach, falling to the ground.
“HENK!! HEEENK!! I think something’s wrong with the baby!”

“Have you heard about Cassie? Poor girl. She’s in hospital right now. Looks like it’s happening again…”
“Colleen! Stop your yabbering, girly. I’m sure Cassie doesn't want you telling the whole world her business! Besides, you don't wanna go jinxing the poor girl!”
“Right, right, sorry.” Colleen hung her head. “But this is the second time this has happened to poor Cassie. Oh I’ve never liked that Henk. He’s been bad news since day one! Oh I oughtta…”
“Colleen! There are customers that need serving.”
“Oh sorry, Irene, I’m just worried about her. There seems to be a big black cloud over…”
“Stone the flamin’ crows Colleen! Don'tcha know when to shut your gob!” It was Alf, “Everybody’s worried enough without you adding to their stress.”
“Right you are. Ah, sorry Irene.” Colleen slumped away sheepishly. Irene didn't even hear Colleen. “God please don't let that woman be right…”

“Henk… We did everything we could. I’m so sorry. Cassie’s gone.”
The colour drained from Henk’s face.
“And I don't know how to say this. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Well, we were able to save the baby. Henk, you’re a father”


“Henk? I know it’s a lot to take in. I’m so sorry.”
“What have I done?” Henk stammered
“Henk, this isn’t your fault. You didn’t know you had HIV until it was too late. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry”
“Whatever.” Henk stormed out of the hospital, jumped into his car and drove off.

“What the flamin’ heck was all that about?” Irene asked, she had to work late at the diner and had no idea what was going on.

“Oh Irene, I’m so sorry”

A memorial was held in Cassie’s honour a week after she died. Henk couldn’t stand to be in Summer Bay anymore.
“Henk I know you’re grieving but there are other issues here. You’ve got a baby girl to take care off. I understand if you don’t feel fit to look after her right now but trust me you will change your mind. She’s a part of your life now. What would Cassie think of you if you abandoned her child? Your child?”
“You think I don’t know that Rachel!? I let Cassie down and I don’t wanna let our baby down but I can’t, I just can’t take care of her on my own. Rachel, I can’t”
“Well we can’t keep her in the hospital for any longer. Either you have to get your act together and take responsibility for her or find another home for her. The choice is yours; I just hope that for once in your life you will make the right one.” Rachel’s patience was wearing thin. She didn’t want to deal with Henk, not after what he’d done to her all those years ago. She just hoped that he would make the right decision.

“Hi, Henk. I just came to see if you’re okay… How’s the baby? Have you given her a name yet?” Matilda had come to visit Henk at his caravan, despite her feelings towards Henk she felt sorry for him. She knew how much impact Cassie’s death had had on everyone’s lives, especially his.
“What’s the point of naming her when I won’t be keeping her? I’m going to adopt her out to somebody who can take care of her.”
“What!? Henk you can’t do that. You have no right to do that. Cassie was part of my life too. You’re not the only one who’s devastated right now.”
“Well if it means that much to you why don't you look after her!”
“I can’t believe you, Henk. I can’t believe I came here to see if you were okay. Why did it have to be Cassie? Why couldn't it have been you?? Everybody knows her death was your fault. Why don't you act your age for once in your life!? You’re 30 years old, Cassie was only 18. Just take responsibility.”
“But how can I do this without Cassie? We were so happy when we found out that she was pregnant. We had it all worked out. We were going to move into my place in the city, I’d go back to my old job and Cassie would look after the baby. How can I do that without her? I’ll have no time. I’m not being selfish I’m just being realistic. I won’t have any time for her. She’ll be better off without me, just like Cassie would’ve been.”
“Henk I’m sorry, I didn’t mean what I just said. I know you loved Cassie. And she loved you so much. No matter how many people told her to stay away she would always go back to you. She loved you so much, Henk. You can get help looking after the baby, money, childcare, and we’ll all help too. We just want the chance to see Cassie’s child grow up. Cassie’s gone; she’s all that is left...” Matilda sighed, “Just think about it.”

“Rachel!” Henk called.
Rachel turned around, “Henk I’m busy. I’m in the middle of rounds.”
“This won’t take long I promise. I just wanna apologize for all the grief I’ve caused you over the past two weeks, I’m sorry for everything. I just want to tell you that I’ve made a decision, I am leaving Summer Bay. Tomorrow.”
Well if that’s what you’ve decided... I don’t know why I expected anymore.”
“But Rachel, I’m taking Cassie with me.”
“Sorry, what? How are you gonna do that?”
“Cassie, my child, I’m taking her with me.”
“You named her Cassie? Oh, Henk! I never thought I’d say this but, I’m so proud of you.”

1 comment:

Joseph said...

Hey nice fan fict, it’s not about my favourite Mattie, but she gets a cameo so ill give you credit for that lol. I like how you’ve made it like a script so I can just imagine them just talking like they do in the TV show. I laughed at the slang language like “flaming” and telling Colleen to shut up, as she should.

Cool intro just picking up with action straight away with the dramatic scene of Cassie dropping to the floor and then just straight into a interlude of gossiping at the diner, just like they do on the telly, before going back to the story, made it all that more realistic. Also I liked the conclusion to end the story on a happy note after all the drama that happened through out.